Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Last Official Birthday

Yesterday, I celebrated the last birthday I will officially be celebrating.  I have decided that there is really no need to recognize any birthday past twenty-nine.  At least I can't think of one.

My celebration really began in January with a superb trip to Las Vegas thanks to my wonderful Nathan.  I then I enjoyed a President's Day of pampering thanks to, well myself.  Next I received a "Happy Middle Day" surprise bouquet of tulips, on February 21st, which I got to enjoy for more than a week.  They really were beautiful for days.

On Monday, I picked Jentry up from school and she had a large, pink gift bag to give to me.  She was so excited!  "I got you a present, mom you can open right now if you want it is a purple coat."  She just couldn't stand the wait.  I finally opened the bag when we got home and sure enough, she had picked out, all by herself (with a little help from her dad), a lovely purple Columbia fleece jacket.  It was just perfect.  She was so proud of her selection.  She told me she chose purple because it was my favorite color.  I just love that girl!  She had even handcrafted me a beautiful card complete with stickers and glitter.  What more could a mother ask for?

Yesterday, I started the day with a phone call from my father, who proudly informed me that he already had a little black baby born on my birthday.  Of course, he is referring to one of his new, little calves.  I really can't remember a year when I haven't shared my birthday with a new calf.  I was born in the peak of calving season, what can I say.  My mother says, when she found out my due date, she was so excited to tell my father, "March 1st!"  Dad's reply was, "Oh good. I can just keep watch of you along with all my heifers." Not exactly the response she was looking for...I'm guessing.

On the way to work, I picked up a Napoleon Torte for my birthday treat for my co-workers.  It was a huge hit and I have to admit that I allowed myself to have two pieces.  It was MY birthday after all.

For lunch, Nathan's mother, Jan, invited me to join her and her friends at the Nebraska Club.  Jan is my birthday twin.  When we first discovered that we not only had the same name but the same birthday, we were shocked.  I mean what are the odds, really?  I still think it is a little bit creepy and I am not sure why Nathan didn't go running for the hills, but it is fun none the less.  I can't think of anyone more exciting to share my special day.  Jan always does everything to the nines.  We even had champagne and tiramisu. It was simply fabulous.  Sometimes I wonder how she really feels about having to share her special day with me?

For supper we had a girls night at my house.  I picked up pasta from The Olive Garden and Kelly and Anna came over to help me celebrate.  I had my favorite dish of braised beef tortelloni, Kelly had a wonderful ravioli di portobello and the Jentry and Anna shared a scrumptious mac and cheese.  You certainly couldn't accuse this group of girls of being on a no carb diet!  We also treated ourselves to delicious cheesecake for dessert.  I think I might have overdone the calories this year...OK so maybe every year...who cares it was wondrous and I would do again!

For a Tuesday birthday, I had a simply, marvelous day.  I kept telling everyone that twenty-nine really isn't so bad.  Next year will be difficult and thirty-one...I will cry.

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like it was very fun and eventful. I turn the big 3-0 in May and I've got to admit I'm dreading it. Maybe we'll just have to embrace it instead and make our 30's the best years yet!

    ReplyDelete