Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Rebel Yell

When I picked up Jentry from daycare several weeks ago, she came running to me with a huge grin on her face and very loudly proclaiming to the world, "I didn't have to go to the office today".  I praised her first by telling her that was good, all the while wondering if she had to go office on a regular basis.  Her next proud statement was, "Yep, I went STRAIGHT to think time."  Oh my, this was not good.  I asked her why she had to go to think time and she said, "I don't know, but I went STRAIGHT to think time." 

As if I wasn't concerned enough already, her teacher had overheard our conversation and informed me that the only reason Jentry didn't have to go to the office, was that they no longer felt like it was effective.  Keep in mind the office is the second round of discipline!  Apparently, she was acting up in think time so they would send her to the office and since that wasn't even working they decided to try placing her in an empty room.  My heart sank and I was quite concerned.  This was the first I had heard of her behavior being an issue.  How could my little angel baby possible be so naughty? 

Then the teacher, bless her heart, said that Jentry was getting much better and was making improvements everyday.  The fits were not lasting as long and she was starting to handle authority a little better.  This really didn't make me feel any better, but I have to give her credit for trying.  All the while, Jentry was listening to our conversation and watching my face.  As we walked out to the car, she asked me if I was sad.  I was completely honest with her and told her, "Yes, I am sad!  I am sad that you are such a naughty little girl."  Jentry's lip started to quiver and then she broke down in tears.  I felt bad for making her cry but at the same time I was very happy to think that she did, at least, have a conscious.  I explained that she needed to listen to her teachers at school and do as she is told.  I encouraged her to be good all day long, and when I pick her up I want her to proudly proclaim that she didn't have to go to think time OR the office.  "Then will you be happy?", she asked. 

Each day since, I have asked her how the day went and if she had to go to think time or not.  The response has usually been a big grin followed up by a "Well....." and a "Are you happy or sad, mom?"

I have not heard anything more from her teachers in the past two weeks, so I am assuming that Jentry is not acting out of the norm when compared to the other three-year-olds.  However, I am still worried that I might have a little rebel on my hands. 



No comments:

Post a Comment