Thursday, February 9, 2012

Name that Valentine

This year I found the cutest valentines at Target.  I thought they were simply adorable, included the appropriate amount for my needs and to top it all off, they were priced at only five bones!  Speaking of bones....I was getting dressed last weekend and Jentry asked, "Why do you have to put that on?" She was referring to my bra.  I was stumbling over my words while trying to come up with an age appropriate explanation when she said, "Is that to cover up your bones?"  I quickly agreed before she could ask anymore questions.  What? A bra does technically cover bones.  I regress.

I was ecstatic about the valentines and could not wait to put them together with Jentry for her classmates.  Jentry is going to be with her dad this weekend and Monday nights are always crazy, so I knew it was best to get them done this week.  I received the list of names from her teacher yesterday and we had a free Wednesday night... perfect!  As soon as we got home, I got out all the materials we would need and asked her if she was ready to help me make valentines for her friends.  She was already busy doing "homework".  In Jentrish, this means taking pieces of paper out of her folder, cutting them with scissors, marking them with random marker colors, putting a piece of tape on them, choosing a sticker to place on them and then placing them back in her folder.  She looked up from her "work" and said, "I think you can do that by yourself, mom.  It shouldn't be that hard."  She took the wind right out of my sails.  And here I thought we were going to have a fun and festive evening making valentines and memories.  So much for that!

Once I set everything out on the coffee table and she got a glimpse of the sparkly stickers, we were back up and sailing.  She stood for awhile but then decided she needed to go get her chair.  Then she had go get a box of facial tissues just in case she might need them.  This made my heart melt and my mind race back to my childhood.  I cannot count how many times I set up a "desk" and all the accessories, just to have my mother make me move it, because it was in the middle of the walkway or at the top of the stairs.  I could have spent all day playing office or bank, if only my mother would have let me.  Big dork, I know.

It was so much fun to read through the list of names of Jentry's classmates.  The list certainly dated me.  The names were either really old names that are back en vogue or new names that I had never heard of before.

Cael       Kennedy
Kaylie      Sophie
Gracie      Olivia
Megan         Tate
Aleigha     Jentry
Lily          Akya
Grant       Nevaeh

I realize that Jentry would be classified as one of the names I have never heard before and by no means do I dislike any of the names, however this list is very different from the list of my classmates' names, when I was in preschool.  There are no Bradlees, Lindsays, Ashleys, Jeffs, Nathans, Joshuas, Michelles on this new list.  Megan was the only name that might have been included on my 80s list.  Names and there popularity are truly interesting.   You just never know what the new trend is going to be.  Unfortunately I have heard of a few boys being named Gentry, lately.  I hope hope this does not become extremely popular. Jentry may never forgive me.

When Jentry had finished strategically placing all of the sparkly stickers and I had completed writing each name, we stappled an individual package of mini "nim-a-nims" to the back of each card.  Now we are ready for the big day of love!
 




Valentine's Day card making success!

No comments:

Post a Comment