Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Week in the Life

Friday, February 17th : Jentry went to daycare and I worked for, unfortunately, the majority of the day.  As I picked up the Jentry's daily report from the teacher, I noticed a new report.  As I began to read, I realized this was not a happy note.  This was a not happy note!  As I read on I said, "Oh no" and Jentry said, "What?"  To which I responded, "Jentry we have a problem.  What happened today?"  Her innocent face went from rather serious to a devilish smile as she said, "I don't know....nothing....why?"  Apparently she was being mean to her friends, because they weren't doing what she wanted them to do.  The teacher put her in think time where she continued to yell and scream, so they moved her to another room where she hit and scratched the teacher while yelling.  Next stop - the office.  Just when I was feeling at ease with her behavior being in the typical three-year-old range, I get a written report verifying my original fears of being a mother to a rebel child.  We had a very long talk on the way home and I made a few clear consequences should this ever happen again.  No movies and no treats.  Harsh...I know!  I dread the day when I am saying no iphone and no Facebook.

That night, I was excited to have a quiet evening at home with my Jentry Bug.  I wanted to cuddle up on the couch with some blankets and popcorn and watch Jentry's new movie.  John and Jan had given her A Bug's Life for Valentine's day, and I was thinking that would be a perfect activity for both of us to enjoy.  Of course, Jentry had other plans.  I mean why would I think she would want to watch a movie she had not yet viewed instead of a Nick Jr. show that she has seen over a hundred times?  Silly me.

Saturday, February 18th : Jentry and I were invited to a baby shower for my friend Michelle at my sister's house.  Jentry wasn't really sure why we were going to a "baby bath" but was excited none the less.  We had a lovely time visiting, eating, laughing and talkin' babies with the girls.

That night I offered to watch all three kiddos for a few hours to allow Chad and Kelly some adult time.  They decided to take me up on the offer since it doesn't happen often.  They ate a wonderful meal with drinks at Grisanti's while I ate an old can of ham and bean soup with screaming children.  Same same, right?  This is why the offer doesn't happen often.  In all fairness, the kids were not that bad it was only a few hours.  We also got to watch a little of A Bug's Life with Isaac there to convince Jentry it would be OK.

Sunday, February 19th : Jentry and I went to church in the morning and then headed to Jentry's favorite store, Home Depot, to buy paint for her new room.  We picked out a lovely shade of purple called "Potentially Purple" and "Popped Corn" which is just white in my simple opinion.  I just love reading all the different names they have invented for hues of color.

Next we met Grandma Bose and the Hamiltons for lunch at Fazzoli's and then went back to the Hamilton's for dessert.  The kids had a blast playing "car" in the diaper boxes.  This brought back many grand memories of Kelly and I setting up a "car" with the dinning room chairs.  We had a cardboard box with a boom box on top for the dash and radio; dad's boot remover for a gas peddle; an upside down, toy microphone for a stick shift; and some old, fabric strips for seat belts.  We thought of every detail!  I can still hear us arguing over which cassette tape to play.  Michael Bolton or Tiffany?



Sunday evening Jentry had a major meltdown.  I really can't even remember what little thing set her off, but the tantrum lasted for about one and a half hours and exhausted us both.  At one point Jentry had to go to the bathroom, so she sat on the toilet while continuing to cry.  When she had finished, she asked me to wipe for her to which I said,  "Absolutely not!"  She is completely capable of finishing the business herself and was just being dramatic.  After ten minutes of sitting on the toilet begging me to help her, I decided to go downstairs and ignore her from separate floor.  The stubborn little girl shuffled her way across the house, down the stairs and across the basement with her underwear down around her ankles still screaming for me to help her.  Seriously, girl? Give it up already!  She continued to follow me around the house for another thirty minutes like this.  I am really not sure how I kept a straight face.  It was ridiculously hilarious.  I am proud to say that I didn't give in and she eventually pulled up her own pants and ate her cold supper by herself.  Hopefully a lesson was learned.  If not, it still makes for a rather embarrassing story for future use.

Monday, February 20th : Presidents Day...and after the evening this mom had just had I had no problem sending Jentry to daycare while I enjoyed a nice day to myself.  I shopped, had my nails done and enjoyed a facial.  I don't usually pamper myself, but I am learning that maybe I should.  Jentry noticed my nails right away.  "Why did you pick white and why did you only paint the ends?"  I explained that it was called a French tip.  "It doesn't look very beautiful, mom."  Gee, thanks.

Tuesday, February 21st : I received a fabulous surprise at work! 


The card read: Happy Middle Day!  The day between your V Day & B Day - Your Secret Admirer
They are absolutely beautiful and I am still enjoying them today.  Now that is the kind of surprise I love.

Wednesday, February 22nd : Jentry had a rough morning to say the least, and I ended up doing something that I really didn't think I would ever have to do.  I pulled the car over on the way to school.  The entire morning had already been awful and my patience was beyond gone.  Jentry would not cooperate with anything and I ended up forcing her into her car seat.  She had wanted to buckled it herself, but when I gave her the chance she just messed around and whined about not getting to zip her coat by herself.  Ahhhhhhh  Two blocks away from our house I looked back and Jentry was scream-crying while unbuckling her seat belt.  At this point, I had no choice.  I had to pull over, because now she had created a safety issue.  I am sure that anyone watching got a good show.  I was not a happy mama!

I can remember the one time my mother had to stop the car.  Ironically, I think it too was just a few blocks from home.  She was so fed up with my sister and I arguing in the back seat that she slammed on the breaks, turned the car around and drove back to the house.  She told us to get out and then she left.  We were not really sure if she was ever going to come back.  She later told us that she was headed to the local cafe to eat breakfast by herself, but then quickly realized she wouldn't be able to that in a small town without everyone asking her what she was doing without us.  She drove around town for a few minutes instead.

That evening Jentry and I enjoyed pizza at church and then enjoyed a wonderful Ash Wednesday service.  Jentry had lots of questions about the ash cross the pastor was putting on my forehead.  He asked her if he could put one on her and she quickly shook her head and said, "No!"  Sure enough, ten minutes later back in our seat, she was upset that she hadn't gotten a cross of ashes too.

Thursday, February 23rd : This morning, Jentry was singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and asked me to sing along.

Baa, baa, black sheep,
Have you any wool? 
Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full.

Things were sounding pretty good up until this point.  However, I wasn't really certain what came next.  It had been awhile since I had sang this song.  Jentry continued singing, so I just quietly listened to her and hoped that my memory would come to me.  

One for my monster,
One for my name,

I had to stop her.  "Wait.  Wait a minute.  What did you say? A monster?"  To which she replied, "Yeah, it goes...one for my monster, one for my name."  Fortunately this was close enough to the actual lyrics that my memory was revived.  Monster / master, name / dame.  Good enough for me!

And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.






No comments:

Post a Comment