Thursday, February 16, 2012

Two Houses is Weird

This morning, on the way to daycare, Jentry brought up a conversation she had with her friend Gracie at school.  Jentry was quite concerned about the comments Gracie had made.  "Gracie said having two houses in Lincoln is weird but it's NOT!"  

I have always known a day would come when Jentry would start to ask questions about her family and the fact that we live differently then some of her friends' families.   I was not worried about the questions or even the answers I would give, but I was more curious as to when and what kind of questions she would have.  I really didn't expect Jentry to be upset and almost defensive as she demanded that her friend was lying.  In hind sight, I should have guessed that Jentry would not think our family was different because she has never known any other way of life.

I tried to be very honest with Jentry and explained that Gracie probably didn't have two homes and therefore it would seem kind of weird to her.  I then explained that every family is different and that does not make any family weird but simply not alike. 

Jentry seemed to be satisfied with my response and was quickly on to the next argument.  "Mom, Kennedy said that I was this big (holding her hands out really wide) when I was a baby, but that is not true.  You said I was a teeny, tiny, little baby, right?"  Sometimes I think solving the world's problems may be easier than refereeing the disputes between little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment