Monday, February 11, 2013

Stripe Out on the Wild Side

Last week I did something I had never done before.  I painted stripes!  Yes, stripes on the walls of my new laundry room and I absolutely love them.  I was a bit intimidated by the entire process and even doubted my decision half way into the task, however the end result was fabulous and it was really quite easy.





Several months ago, I painted the walls a gray color so it was good and dry.  Since then, they installed the floor and ceiling tiles and trim board.  

1. I measured from the ceiling to the trim and divided by seven.  This way I didn't have to paint against the new ceiling or the new white base trim.  Lazy perhaps but I prefer to call this efficient.   The measurement was 87.5 inches and so my stripes came out to an even 12.5 inches.  

2. I borrowed a laser level from the carpenter.  This device projects a red laser light throughout the room and was absolutely the way to go.  I would highly recommend this tool when painting stripes.  

3. I began taping along the red line with green painter's Frog Tape.  Easy as pie and the outcome was super straight lines.  

4. I used a credit card to seal the tape to the wall and ensure that no white paint would bleed past the tape onto the gray.  

5. I opened the new white paint and rolled away.

6.  After I was sure the white stripes had two good coats, I immediately removed the tape.  I did not sit and watch the paint dry.  This allowed the tape to come off very easily.

7.  The result, straight white lines with no bleeding. 

Love, love them and think it is fun to have something a little on the wild side in our home.  OK, OK so it is only white on gray which is fairly subtle and the crazy stripes are hidden away in the laundry room, but this is a pretty big step for me.  The rest of the basement is tan, tan and more tan.  Very neutral.  I did enjoy the challenge of trying something new and appreciate stepping out of my box every once and a while.  I may even try them again someday.  Maybe bolder color choices or more, narrow stripes.  Time will tell, but until then I am enjoying doing laundry again!

2 comments: