Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

We had a very busy yet fun Labor Day Weekend.  Saturday we traveled to Lincoln and stayed at John and Jan's condo.  Nathan went to the Husker football game while Jentry and I hit the shopping stores.  By the time we arrived, Jentry had already mapped out our meals in the city.  "I want Runza for lunch, Old McDonalds for supper and then Fazoli's on Sunday."  I suppose I will take responsibility for her ridiculous eating requests.  Thank goodness there isn't any fast food in Sutton! 


Jentry and I had a great mother/daughter day shopping, eating and just being together.  We have not had much time just the two of us lately.  After four big stores, I had her completely worn out so we stopped at my dear friend Abby's house to relax.  Jentry took a nice, long nap on the couch while Abby and I got caught up on all the exciting things going on in our lives. 

For her amazing behavior, Jentry got to pick out one thing to buy at Walmart and she chose fake nails.  They reminded me of something you would see on Toddler's and Tiaras!  After she finished her kids meal, I helped her put them on.  To say that she loved them would be a drastic understatement.  She flaunted them around all evening.  I warned her that they may not stay on through the night, however the first thing I heard Sunday morning was, "Mom, my nails are still on!"  She loved them until she realized how difficult it was to do anything with them on and then begged me to take them off mid morning.  It was bitter sweet.  Oh the things girls do to be pretty!


Sunday we traveled back home to get our work done so that we could spend Labor Day resting and playing.  I had been promising Jentry a night of camping all summer.  Since we never had a good weekend to go the lake, I decided to rough it with her in the back yard.  Nathan was nice enough to go get his tent and camping supplies rounded up.  Jentry was soooo stoked she could hardly stand it!  It was such great fun to watch her excitement that even Nathan got into the camping mood too.  The two of them even had the tent set up before I even realized they were in the back yard.


We had blankets, pillows, flashlights, water, books, and of course Snuggie.  We headed out to sleep around nine and it was still rather hot and sticky outside.  Jentry didn't seem to mind until it was time to sit still and try to actually sleep.  "I'm all hot and sweaty." There was a brief moment where she wanted to go back inside, however I distracted her with one more book and she soon fell asleep.  I tossed and turned for a while and at 1:00 am Nathan finally wimped out and went inside.  I was finally able to fall asleep and Jentry slept until 7:00 am.  I don't think we will be attempting camping again until next year...maybe two more years. 

Monday morning we enjoyed egg-in-a-holes for breakfast, per Nathan's request.  Then we bummed around in our jammies and watch Dr. Seuss' The Lorax.  For lunch Jentry wanted a sandwich on triangle bread, which I finally determined, after a near meltdown, was just a regular ham sandwich cut in half diagonally.  Next we headed to Fox Hollow for a round of golf.  After golf, Jan invited us to their house for supper and Jentry got to go for a four-wheeler ride and watch the humming birds on the back deck.  I have to admit they are quite amazing, little creatures. 

By the time we arrived home at eight, we were all exhausted.  Jentry fell asleep watching The Lorax for the second time while Nathan, so very kindly, let me watch The Lucky One.  It is a romance movie based on the Nicholas Sparks book, however I think he even liked it more than he will admit.  I can not think of a better ending to an amazing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment