Friday, September 28, 2012

My Rapunzel

"Mom, when am I going to have long hair?" 

I get this question almost every other day and it is usually followed by "Some people think I'm a boy."  Jentry is absolutely obsessed with long hair.  She wants to have long hair like all of her friends and all of the princesses.  Unfortunately, with her genetic disorder, Ectodermal Dysplasia, she will most likely never have long hair.  One of the symptoms is thin, sparse hair, however it varies in each individual case.

I usually respond to her question with "Whenever God wants you to have long hair."  I know that my answer will only satisfy her for so long.  I know that teasing will take place and tears will be shed, but I also have faith that my little girl, with her HUGE personality, will embrace her differences and learn to love her short, funky hair.

Lately, she has been putting blankets on her head and "betending" to have long hair.  Last night she went for the really big blanket!  When seeing her I said, "Oh Jentry, you look beautiful!"  To which she very seriously replied, "I'm not Jentry, I'm Rapunzel."



She is and always will be my beautiful princess no matter what length her hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment