Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Smart Sista

Most of my life I have had a fairly decent relationship with my older sister, Kelly.  Beings that we are only two and half years apart in age, we have always been buddies, pals, friends.  Sure there were some moments in our early years when she wasn't so sure about me...like the day my parents brought me home from the hospital and she asked them to take me back.  Or the days that we would fight over toys and I would pester her in the back seat of the car for the entire five hour trip to Herman.  There were also the days that I was jealous of her being older and having more privileges.  She became much "cooler" than me when she entered her freshman year at the new Southern Valley School.  I specifically remember the day she wouldn't give me the keys to get something out of the car, and I shoved her into the lockers in front of all her friends in the high school hallway.  She really hated me that day!

Then we grew older and she became more mature as I became more independent.  I think she worried about me a lot through my collage years.  I was always jealous of her accomplishments though, and sometimes I wonder if I would have pushed myself a little farther maybe I would have a doctorate too.  OK so that is really not likely, but a girl can dream, right?  Today, however, we are both adults, both mothers, both best friends and I am extremely proud to call her my sister and I will absolutely hate not having her just minutes away. She is really not thrilled about me moving an hour away either, but she is able see past her own desires and is excited for me and this new chapter of my life. 

Although we have had our moments over the years, she has always been there for me.  My life would have been very lonely without her.  She has always been the type of sister that I loved and hated all at the same time.  She is older, wiser and better at most things, but I always had a friend that I could count on.  And as a bonus she gives good, solid advice!

Just last week I was complaining about an itching sensation that I had been experiencing for two weeks and she encouraged me to have my blood tested.  This scared me enough to take her advice and to call my doctor immediately.  Sure enough she was dead right.  Apparently, I have hypothyroidism and will need to take medication to balance me back out.  Now, not only do I have to hate her for being right I have to love her for saving me from gaining 50 pounds!

I am so very lucky to have such a smart, loving, wonderful, sister, friend.  Maybe someday Jentry will be lucky enough to have the same.  Most likely though, she will have an annoying little brother and I will have absolutely no advice to give her.

As someone once said, "An older sister helps one remain half child, half woman."  I could not have said it better myself! 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Jan!! This brought a tear to my eye and makes me want a sister (although brother's can be pretty great too once you learn to appreciate them :o))

    ReplyDelete