Monday, June 25, 2012

Swimming Success?

Jentry participated in swimming lessons at the Sutton pool last week.  This was actually her third experience with swimming lessons.  She took two different classes at the YMCA, when we lived in Lincoln.  The go around was quite a different experience.  The classes where scheduled to be held Monday through Friday, 11:30 to 12:00.  I signed her up thinking I would just take an early lunch that week and it wouldn't take me long to shuttle her around the little town of Sutton.  Miss Wendy was even nice enough to have her suited up and ready to go at 11:15.  The daycare kids usually eat at 11:30, however Miss Wendy said that she would set aside a plate of food for Jentry.  This way she could eat after she was done swimming.  Miss Wendy is such a thoughtful person!

Monday everything went as planned.  Jentry was ready to go when I picked her up and we made it to the pool with plenty of time to sign in and find a place to sit and wait.  When the instructors were ready, they asked all of the kids to line up and for the parents to exit the pool.  Little Miss Independent had no problem saying goodbye to her mom and confidently lined up with the other, much taller, kids.  Jentry was assigned to a group with two male instructors.  I really didn't think much of this until I started observing that Jentry was not participating at all.  She looked nervous and wouldn't do any of the tasks they were asking her to perform.  This is not like Jentry at all!  I have nothing against male swimming instructors, trust me, however I was kind of wishing that Jentry had been assigned to one of the female instructors.  I really think a female would have encouraged her more to participate instead of just letting her get away with her shy/nervous girl act.  At the end of lessons they let each child go down the big slides.  The slides are Jentry's favorite thing to do at the pool and she has been down them countless times all by herself.  Not this day!  She continued on with her act and said no to the slides.  On the way to the car, I asked her why she had acted so silly.  Her response was, "Well, I was hungry mom." 

Tuesday I was hoping for a better outcome.  I had given Jentry a pep talk or two and Miss Wendy even gave her a snack so that she wouldn't have any excuses.  When we arrived, I knew something was strange because all of the kids were already in the pool.  Apparently, they had moved the time up to 11:00 without calling to notify me.  Jentry got there in time to go down the slides.  This time she actually went.

Wednesday was somewhat overcast, but the temperature was still 80 degrees.  There was no threat of rain until late afternoon, however I received a call around 10:00 that classes had been cancelled.  Really!

Just when I was doubting my $15 investment, Thursday we finally had a good swimming experience.  Jentry was assigned to a different, smaller group and really did well.  She was excited and could not wait to go back on Friday.

Friday Jentry somehow passed Level 1 B.  I am not exactly sure what that means, but she had a blast and can't wait for next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment