Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bedtime Blues

Jentry has been having a tough time going to bed lately.  I have tried many different tactics, but so far none of of them seem to really solve our bedtime issues.  I even tried bringing out the star system again, however it has almost been a month now and only three stars appear on the paper.  Three nights out of the last thirty have been fairly miserable, which just makes me want to cry.  I am completely at a loss and don't even know what to try at this point.  Every night it is the same routine.  Our bedtime procedure goes splendidly until Jentry finds the one, meaningless thing that she is going to get stuck on.  After that, forget anything you have ever read in any parenting book. 

Last night Jentry got upset, because I wasn't laying Snuggie down right.  I have to admit that I was complete void of patience at that point and might have handled Snuggie a bit rough.  She then burst into a full-blown meltdown.  "You hurt Snuggie!"  At that point, I simply said good night and walked away.  This meant that I didn't sing songs or tuck her in like usual.  After thirty or so minutes of Jentry standing outside our bedroom door crying and repeating "Mama can I tell you something?" over and over and over again, I gave in.  I opened the door held her hand and quietly walked her back to her room.  I was hoping this might calm her down enough that she would at least get back in her bed.  This is when she said to me. "Mom, if you would just apologize to Snuggie for hurting him, then you can sing me songs."  AHHHHHHHHH!

This is only a phase.  Repeat it with me...This is only a phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment