Thursday, September 1, 2011

Triumph in the Hamster Cage

Last night I went to get my hair cut, and I brought Jentry along.  I promised her that if she was a really good girl we could go out to eat afterwords and that she could pick the restaurant.  Of course, she wanted to go to "Old McDonald's."  After eating all of her kids meal, I allowed her to play in the kidz zone for a while.  She really wanted to go down the big, blue, twisting slide.  However, the only way to get to the top was to climb up these very tall, triangle steps.  The first step came all the way up to her chest and she said, "I can't do it mom!"  I encouraged her to at least try.  She wanted me to come help her, but it was too small for me to even attempt.  Never mind the fact that there was no way I was going to climb into that germ infested bacteria haven! 

Jentry climbed back out with a very disappointed look on her face.  Then a little girl, probably around five years of age, whisked right past us and climbed up the stairs like a monkey.  Jentry watched her every move in amazement.  When the girl come down the blue slide, Jentry couldn't take it anymore.  She had to give it another try.  The little girl very patiently showed Jentry how to climb each stair.  Jentry slowly pulled herself up with her arms, swung her leg up and rolled her body onto each step.  When they reached the top, Jentry looked down at me with the biggest smile and said, "I did it mom!"  Then they disappeared in to the tunnels.  Next thing I could see was Jentry coming out the slide.  I was so proud of her.  She had conquered what she originally thought could not be done.  All it took was a little encouragement and a little girl named Molly to show her the way.


Jentry making it to the third stair!



On the way home, our conversation went something like this:

Me: You climbed all the way to the top.  I am so proud of you Jentry Bug.
Jentry: I am not a bug!  Bugs are not Jentrys!
Me: (Trying not to laugh)  You are right, you are not a bug.
Jentry: It is not funny!
Me: (Now really trying not to laugh) I'm sorry you're right, it is not funny.   Mommy just likes to call you Jentry Bug sometimes, as a nickname.  It does not mean that you are really a bug.

1 comment:

  1. Go Miss Jentry!! Yeah! Isn't that exciting to see as a Mom? And...I love the name "Jentry Bug" - very cute!

    ReplyDelete