Monday, January 6, 2014

A Walk Back in Time

While visiting my parents for the holidays, Nathan asked to take a tour of the pasture south of Orleans. I had told him about this little piece of paradise in Harlan County, but never had the chance to show him first hand. Papa was nice enough to give Jentry, Nathan and me a grand tour on a beautiful December morning.

My dad and my uncle have owned this pasture for as long as I can remember and it is simply one of my favorite places back home. The property has several natural springs, a turtle pond, lots of wild life, hills, valleys, an Indian burial ground, old foundations of a farmstead and some of the oldest trees in the county. I have many fond memories of this property growing up. From wienie roasts to chopping musk-thistle, from camping to jeep rallies and even a night with my best girlfriends sneaking a few beverages on our last day of high school.

Jentry thought it sounded like fun to make some of her own memories too. As we were leaving the pasture, she was telling us all how she was going to camp there this summer and listing all the items should would need to bring along. The most important being chocolate for the s'mores.












Papa had to crack open some walnuts for Jentry to try.



A few years ago, my dad was fortunate enough to meet the elderly couple that had once lived on the property. He offered to give them a tour and in return they gave him a frame with the original deed signed by the President! The history of the land is fascinating and every time I am there I feel as though I have stepped back in time.  

1 comment:

  1. What a neat post and it sounds and looks like a beautiful place! In another life, I would be raising my family in such a place! I bet it's extra beautiful in the Spring/Summer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete