Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Slow Down

After the crazy, busy days surrounding the holidays, I anticipated January would seem very slow. I was even dreading January because I knew I would be growing bigger, getting uncomfortable and becoming very anxious to meet our new little member. We are now more than half way through the month, at 29 weeks in the pregnancy and it has been surprisingly steady and very much enjoyable. The slow down of January has given me a chance to organize, deep clean, prepare for baby, spend quality time with Jentry and simply relax and enjoy the little things.

Jentry did not go back to school until January 6th, so we got to spend a few days in our pjs playing with our new Christmas gifts. Jentry requested that we make rice pudding. Apparently they made it at Noah's Ark Daycare in Lincoln and so we made our first attempt using my beautiful new All-Clad double boiler. The first batch was a complete flop. The rice never did cook. We left it simmering for nearly eight hours and it was still crunchy.  Jentry so kindly pointed out that, "At Noah's Ark it was done before lunch time, mom." Part of the issue was that I was using a less than specific recipe from my family cookbook.  We made a few modifications and gave it another go with batch number two. The result was better, however it was still not as good as my Great Aunt Frances Ehrke's.  We still have some work to do, but it was a fun indoor project on a bitterly cold day.


After a few days being cooped up in the house, we decided to take a girls only shopping trip to Grand Island. Our first stop was the morning show of Frozen in 3D at the movie theater.  It was fabulous and one of my favorite Disney movies in last five years. 


Jentry found some adorable pajamas on sale that even came with a matching set for her baby doll.  She was so excited and insisted I take a picture of her and Merry.


We also spent an good hour in the shoe store. I swear that girl tried on every shoe in her size. She would slip them on walk down the isle and back before saying, "I really like them but they just don't feel quite right." She is very particular about her shoes! We did end up purchasing a new pair of tennis shoes for school, but her favorite find was these house slippers, "Just like Mommy's!"


When school resumed, it took us a few days to get back into our routine. For the most part Jentry has been pretty good about getting herself ready, however some days she gets a bit distracted. One morning, I thought she was brushing her teeth and when I went to check on her this is what I found. Oh my! At least she is protected from any flying toothpaste or water getting into her eyes.


The baby's room is coming together quite nicely and we are all getting more and more excited with each addition to the room.


I finally remembered to have Nathan take a picture of the bump for the baby book. The baby has been moving around a lot, which is great fun for Nathan and Jentry too. I am hoping that he sleeps more out of the womb then he has been inside.


Jentry has been participating in a little basketball camp for kids ages K-3rd grade. The first practice did not go so well as she got hit in the face with a ball and didn't want to go back. Oh course, her mean mother made her go back and she had lots of fun. She played her first game during halftime of the high school girls game last Friday.  I really wasn't sure what to expect and she was a bit nervous. The morning before the game I asked her if she was excited to play and her response was, "Not really, I haven't even made a basket yet."  The game was hoot and she definitely had her defense stance down.  In fact, she played great defense even when her team had the ball.  Nathan said, "Unfortunately, it seems she inherited her mother's athletic ability." 





This month has also given Jentry and me time to create some Pinterest projects. She found this adorable owl craft and just had to make it. It turned out great and she can't wait to give it to her teacher on Valentine's day.


I choose to make a Valentine's banner for the fireplace. I used Pinterest for some ideas but ended up creating my own design using things I already had at home. I was pretty proud of the result and it is fun to exercise the right size of my brain every once and awhile. 



I am not sure why I always dread the slow winter months or why I wish the days to pass quickly.  This year, I am trying very hard to relax more and enjoy the little moments of life.  All too soon our lives will be very busy with a new little person to love and care for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment