Monday, March 11, 2013

Boys and Basketball

This year both the Sutton girls and boys basketball teams qualified for the State Tournament in Lincoln.  We were unable to make the trip to cheer on the girls, however last week Nathan and I decided it would be fun to spend a long weekend cheering on the boys.  I dropped Jentry off with her dad a day early and turned right around that night and drove east to Lincoln.  We were able to stay at Nathan's parent's condo downtown which was quite convenient as well as extremely economical.

Bright and early Friday morning we took our seats and the Pershing Center to cheer on the Mustangs.  My brother-in-law, Chad, and nephew, Isaac, also made the trip to Lincoln to cheer on my alma mater, Southern Valley.  Chad and Kelly moved to Orleans last summer when Chad took a teaching position there. Southern Valley played Freeman immediately after the Sutton game so we were able to see everyone in one short morning. Isaac was so excited to get to observe his very first State Tournament and I was thrilled to be able to sit next to him.  He was much more into the sport than Jentry would have been.


When the brackets first came out, I joked and said, "Wouldn't it be fun if Sutton played Southern Valley in the finals?"  Much to my surprise, both Sutton and Southern Valley won their first two games and were set to play for the C-2 Championship on Saturday morning.  I wasn't sure who I was going to root for but was excited to watch them both play at Devaney.  People from back home as well as Sutton teased me to no end about being loyal, wearing the right colors and sitting on the right side.  I wished that I was in the know with one of the Red Hat Society ladies so that I could have borrowed a crazy purple and red hat.  That would have really made a statement!

Saturday morning, I put on a very neutral, white shirt and took a seat next to my husband with my other new neighbors.  My dad said he had to sit on the purple side with my sister and brother-in-law.  I told him that I understood and really wished I could have been on both sides at once.

At halftime, Sutton was down by only one point and I was able to venture to the purple side to say hello to some old classmates and friends.  It was so fun to see everyone and reminisce about my old cheerleading days.  Lots of the cheers were exactly the same!  They really should look into some new ideas after ten plus years.  Just a thought.

Time ran out with the score tied and then the dreaded overtime began.  I was on the edge of my seat the entire game and in the end Southern Valley came out with the big win 38-34.  I told Nathan that it was a win win situation for me because now I have bragging rights for the rest of the year, however if Sutton had won I would have been very excited for the boys I have gotten to know this year and more importantly would have had bragging rights with my brother-in-law till the end of time.  Overall it was a very exciting weekend filled with exciting basketball, excellent food, great old AND new friends, loving family and, of course, super shopping.

Sunday morning we woke up to a fabulous Nebraska, March blizzard.  We got in the car and headed west into the storm.  There have been three major snow storms this winter and Nathan and I have been lucky enough to have been driving in two of them.   Three hours later we had traveled the whopping 70 miles and arrived safely in Sutton.  Lincoln, it was fun but oh how nice it is to be home.

Congrats to the Southern Valley Eagles for their first ever State Championship title and best of luck to the Sutton Mustangs in the 2013-2014 season.

P.S. Jentry cried when she discovered the picture of Isaac and me at the game on my phone.  She was very upset that she didn't get to go too.  Maybe next year!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment