Monday, March 25, 2013

Boots, Training, Flowers and Monsters

We celebrated St Patrick's Day with some amazing, traditional, Irish food.  Jan and John invited us for supper Sunday and Jan prepared some of the best corned beef and cabbage I have ever eaten.  Yum!  Jentry and I made Leprechaun Loaf for dessert, which was very green as Jentry insisted we add lots of green food coloring. 

Jentry always enjoys spending time at the McKenzie residence, because Jan has some really cool toys.  She loves dressing up in her favorite ballerina costume and this time she accessorized with some really trendy cowboy boots.  I thought it was just lovely.


Last Monday I headed to Minneapolis for a work, training conference and left Nathan to be Mr. Mom again.  I think he was much more comfortable this time, however he did request that I leave plenty of leftovers.  Apparently mac and cheese for every meal can get somewhat cheesey. 

I had a great time at the training, however by Thursday evening I was very happy to get back home and see my family.  I was very surprised to receive some beautiful flowers upon my arrival.  Jentry helped Nathan select a purple arrangement because, "Purple is mommy's favorite color."  Good work Jentry!  I absolutely love them and it made me feel very special.


While I was gone, Jentry was learning about the letter "U" in preschool and was required to bring something that started with a "U" for show and share.  At first, Nathan said he couldn't think of anything that she could take but quickly found a bag with the US Bank logo.  I thought it quite fitting and even shared Jentry's drawing with some of my co-workers who attended the training with me. 


On Wednesday, I received a text message from Nathan that read, "We have a problem."  Not exactly something you want to see when you are hours away from home.  Jentry had been invited to a birthday party for her classmate Connor (AKA Conster the Monster).  The party was scheduled for Friday and they gave her a T-shirt iron-on that she was to wear to the party.  I had no idea how I was going to buy a shirt and find the time to make it while I was in another state!  John came to the rescue and took Jentry to York Wednesday evening.  John said he had been wanting to take her on a "date night" for a while now and this was the perfect opportunity.  He took her out to eat at McDonalds and then they went shopping for a T-shirt at Walmart.  Of course, Jentry talked him into also buying her a new purse, doll and book.  Geesh...talk about spoiled! 

They found the perfect shirt and I was able to help Jentry iron on the stickers when I got home Thursday night.  The project came with lots of pieces so you could create your very own, unique monster.  When it comes to creativity, I am fairly useless.  If there is not step by step instructions and a picture to follow I get a bit sweaty.  Thank goodness Jentry is not like her mother in this regard.  She could not wait to get started designing her monster.  She laid out all the pieces and moved them around until they were just where she wanted them.  All I had to do was iron them down.  Now that I could handle.  When we were finished, I was praising her about how great it looked and she just sat there looking at the shirt with her finger on her chin.  "Um, I think it is missing something mom."  She quickly handed me two, yellow ears and asked me to iron them on as well.  "Now it is perfect, mom!" 


Her creation was much better than anything I could have put together and I am very proud of her ability to take charge and think outside of the box.  Maybe this old mother could learn a thing or two from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment