Friday, October 5, 2012

Combine Ride

Because Papa was much too efficient this harvest, Jentry had to find a fill-in Papa to take her for a combine ride.  Nathan actually came up with the idea and coordinated a ride for Jentry and me yesterday afternoon.  He asked one of his long time customers and family friend, Neal Carpenter, if he would be so kind to give Jentry a combine ride.  Being a grandpa of many, he immediately said, "Absolutely!"  We met up with Nathan, he took us out to the field and we climbed up into the cab.


It was a gorgeous, fall day.  I might have been just as excited as Jentry about the ride, because Papa's combine fills up quickly with his three grandchildren and I hardly ever get to go along anymore.  A few weeks ago, Jentry wrote a letter to my nephew, Isaac, and said that she was hoping to come ride with him in Papa's combine.  My sister said he that when she read him the letter he started crying.  I was thinking it was so sweet that he loved his cousin so much, however this was not at all why he was crying.  Apparently, he did not want to have to share the combine with Jentry.  "There is not room for both of us and I am NOT standing!"  What a stink!  Luckily, it was just Jentry and me on this special ride and she still wants to sit on mom's lap.


Jentry was a bit shy at first, but she quickly warmed up to Neal.  He gave her the job of pushing the yellow button to start the flow of corn into the grain wagon, which Jentry thought was way cool and she didn't even spill any on the ground.


In the field we saw a deer, a rabbit and a very plump raccoon.  Jentry thought this was all very interesting and even claims that the deer had a black tail!  When Nathan came back to pick us up, Jentry had to tell him all about our ride.  He wasn't sure what to believe..."A black, deer tail, really?"

I think Neal was happy to have someone to talk to for a change.  With all of the technology and auto-steer equipment, I think farmers are getting a bit bored.  I am not sure if my dad would admit to this or not, however he does often call me just to chat, while driving the combine.  I don't think this is just a coincidence.

Thank you Nathan and Neal for a very special afternoon in Corn Country!

No comments:

Post a Comment