Thursday, June 6, 2019

Memorial Tradition

Spending Memorial Day in Orleans has become tradition. This year we spent an extra night because daycare was closed on Tuesday as well. Shutting down and heading West with my family has become one of my favorite things to do.



Papa gave us a ride in his "new" (to him) 1932 Ford Deuce Coupe. The car originally belonged to my dad's distant cousin, Captain Don Rhynalds. Don and his wife Diane have been back in Orleans for Memorial Day the last several years and we have always enjoyed seeing them. Don passed away last October. Oh how he would have loved to watch us cruising in the rumble seat!








On Monday we attended the Memorial Services at the Stamford Cemetery where my Grandfather Lawrence James (Skinny) Bose and Uncle Gary Bose are buried. Both served as mechanics in the military. My Grandfather was drafted into World War II and my Uncle was drafted and then enlisted in the Air Force during the Vietnam War.

The speaker urged us to tell their stories and I began thinking that I really didn't know very many details about my family members' military service. I had a great visit with my dad, asking him many questions. Perhaps one day I can request and gather more details that can be written down for others to enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment