Monday, January 18, 2016

Out of This World

This past year, I have been seeing more and more world maps appearing in decor. The more I ran into it, the more the concept grew on me. So, for Christmas, I threw the idea on my Christmas wish list. I did not give much detail or direction with my request, I simply asked for a large world map in earth tones. I actually had forgotten about the request entirely when my mother-in-law says, "Oh we forgot. We have one more present for JJ." I was completely surprised when she brought out a long, cardboard roll. Inside was a beautiful world map. It was perfect and I could not wait to get started on my new project.

Nathan, the kids and I opened our gifts to each other late this year. This definitely worked out to my advantage as Nathan had time to purchase all the materials needed to frame out my new map. He then went right to work cutting the thin particle board to the right size and painting it with magnetic paint. I had no idea they even made such a thing, but it was just the ticket for our DIY undertaking. We then used an adhesive spray to smoothly fix the map to our newly created magnet board. Nathan nailed a simple frame together using a few pieces of our leftover window stops and......




BOOM! 
Wall art that, in my opinion, is out of this world.

I personally think it turned out better than anything I had seen on Pinterest. I find it interesting, however that we attempted to make art out of the earth when God is truly the artist here, but like they say, "Earth without art is just eh." I am certain God had this in mind when he went to work creating. 

The best part of it all is watching the kids discover new places and interact with the magnets. After all, isn't it human nature to want to mark our spot in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment