Monday, May 14, 2018

Mother's Day Dreams

As Mother's Day came to an end and I was reading Mason the Little Critter: Happy Mother's Day! book, I began to realize how much I could relate. It seems there is a universal understanding between all mothers of what we dream Mother's Day will be and what reality delivers.

I dream of a full night's sleep and 45 minutes of uninterrupted bathroom time ~ I wake several times with the baby and force myself out of bed early in an attempt to have 10 minutes to myself in the bathroom before Mason swings the door open mid-shower.

I dream of maple scones and flavored coffee on the porch but asked for something simple like cereal so that we don't have to add to the crazy morning of getting out the door on time for church ~ I receive a breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast and bacon made by my loving husband. I then listen to Mason complain about his toast being "toasted" and then clean up the greasy bacon plate that was forgotten in the microwave.

I dream of a peaceful, spiritual moment in church ~ I wrangle a naughty 4 year old while he breaks my new necklace, reprimand a sassy 9 year old for being an instigator and pray that the baby doesn't wake and need to nurse.

I dream of a delicious brunch at a fancy restaurant where dishes are someone else's problem~ I prepare a meal for 8 with the help of my mother-in-law because the restaurants are busy and it is also my father-in-law's birthday.

I dream of a nap in the sun with a good book ~ I help put all the food and dishes away while bouncing the baby on my hip.

I dream of a big surprise...a new garden fence with a bow or a small truck to haul my yard waste away ~ I continue to mow around flags and find creative places to dispose of grass clippings.

I dream of a romantic comedy on the couch with popcorn ~ I help heat up leftovers and get everyone a drink of lemonade...no water...no lemonade..in the other sippy cup!

I dream of having an intimate conversation with my husband as I slowly fade into sleep ~ I take turns getting each child tucked into bed with a fan and ice water and books and blankets. I pick up all the toys left outside. Then I fall asleep of pure exhaustion before I can even kiss my husband goodnight.

Dreams are good, even great sometimes, but having a realistic mindset in life and being able to gracefully adapt when things do not go as anticipated is far more valuable than diamonds. You see, if I had truly expected Mother's Day to play out my dreams then I would have been vastly disappointed. Mother's Day is not about me and being pampered. Mother's Day is a reminder that I have been gifted with theses three precious souls that depend on me. I am so very grateful that they come to me when they wake, when they are hungry, when they have questions, when they ask about Jesus, when they hurt, when they have something special to share.



 



 


As my eyes shut for the night, Nathan said "Well, I think your Mother's Day was pretty much perfect right?" I could not help but think about my dreams and how many of them were unrealized but then I thought about all the moments of real and how perfect they were. I would not have traded any of the real moments of the day for my "dream Mother's Day". 

Jentry surprised me with this darling journal and coupons for one free hair style and pedicure. This is more treasured than diamonds for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment