Sunday, July 26, 2015

Hidden Spaces

Last Saturday we woke up early, much too early for a Saturday morning anyway, and headed to Lone Star Lake. If you are like me, you must be wondering, "Where in the world is Lone Star Lake? I have never heard of it." Well, it is just east of Ohiowa and west of Tobias. "Oh yes, now I know just where you are talking about. Yep, got ya." Wrong.

Just when you think you have heard of every little town in Nebraska, she will surprise you with one more. I like to think of Nebraska as a lady. Is that weird? Anyway, Ohiowa is a small town about 40 miles southeast of Sutton with a population of 113 people. Tobias is just a few miles east of Ohiowa with a population of 107 people. The traffic was horrible. Ha!

The small lake is just off Highway 74 and is a little hidden treasure. It was so much more than I had expected. There is approximately 75 acres of surface water with 160 acres of land surrounding the structure. The lake is stocked with catfish, blue gill and large mouth bass if you are into that sort of boring peaceful sport. It has several camper pads, two shelters, restrooms, a boat ramp, fishing pier, trails, grills and a perfect little swimming beach.

John knew about this great spot in the world and he thought it would be fun to bring the kids for a day of fishing and swimming. Aunt Deb organized a lunch and we met Nathan's cousins there too. The kiddos had blast and I believe that I don't just speak for myself when I say that the adults also had great time.














 


 

As Nathan's cousin Brady put it, "Sometimes Nebraska will surprise you."
She sure did!


Photo credit: Some of these photos were taken by Becky U.

No comments:

Post a Comment