Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Unknown Teen Years

Some of the things Jentry does makes this mother a wee bit nervous about what the teenage years might entail.

Firstly, Jentry is obsessed with her clothing style.  She changes her clothes several times a day and loves to play dress-up.  She will never wear an outfit that her mother has chosen for her even though she asks me to pick one out every morning.  She always rolls up her pants into shorts regardless of the temperature outside and would wear high heels to any event if her mother would only allow it.  One day she came to me and asked if I would tie up one of my swim cover-ups so that it would look like a mini skirt.  Complete with heels and a sparkly necklace she looked like she was 24 not 4!  Yikes!

Secondly, she is one very determined little girl with unbelievably advanced negotiating skills.  Mom is currently one step ahead, however I wonder how long this will last.  While shopping for groceries the other day, she spotted some pre-made brownies with colorful chocolates on top and begged me to buy them for her.  Of course, this mean old mom said, "NO, we can go home and make our own brownies."  I almost had her convinced but what she really wanted was the colorful chocolates.  I told her that she had some Mini M&Ms left over from Christmas and that she could put them on top of the brownies at home.


 

Can you tell which brownies belong to Jentry?

Lastly, she is most certainly from a different generation than me.  Her technology skills amaze me more and more everyday.  John and Jan gave her a VTech Inno Tab for Christmas which she refers to as her iPad.  I could not believe how quickly she adapted to the new toy.  She also loves to make phone calls on my office phone but would prefer to "FaceTime" on my iPhone.  Being able to instantly converse with someone in another town is just not fun at all. Yes, we need more stimulation! Even if the picture makes us look like aliens in a dark room.


I can not and quite possibly do not want to even imagine what Miss Jentry will be like at 14.  What will her fashion style be in 2022?  Will she still love chocolate or will she already be conscious of her weight?  Will she have a real iPad and iPhone of her own or will there be something more advanced by then.  Thankfully, only God knows the future and the heart of my little girl.  Therefore I am going to try not to flip-out about the teenage years just yet and focus on the present.  

No comments:

Post a Comment