Friday, July 12, 2024

Heat and Teal Scrubs

On June 24th, Clay County was hot...like 100 degrees + hot.  Nathan spent a good portion of the day outside checking fields.  Then, as brainwashed sports parents do, we sat in the heat of the day watching Mason's last coach pitch game. There was a bit of breeze but the sun was blazing down on the metal bleachers and concrete landscape. When the game ended Nathan stood up and immediately felt unstable. He passed out and had a seizure. 

Thankfully there were many people there to quickly jump into action in helping us.  Someone called for the unit, someone helped get him on his side, someone brought ice packs and cooling towels, someone asked me great questions and helped me make quick decisions and someone took care of the boys.  

Our friend, Megan, immediately swooped in to distract Tucker from the scene.  Later Tucker asked me, "Who was that lady that took me and bought me a popsicle? She kept kissing me on the cheek and I didn't like that." I assured him she was my friend and she is a mom too so she was just concerned about him. To that Tucker replied, "Well she's not my mom and I don't want her kissing me!" 

Nathan came to before the ambulance arrived but was still rather confused. When he arrived at the Henderson Hospital ER, they immediately gave him an IV of fluids.  Dr. Ohrt was on call and determined that he was very dehydrated which lowered his threshold for a seizure. Nathan had one previous seizure in May of 2023, so that also made him more susceptible to having another. The CAT scan result looked normal, however Nathan will follow up with a neurologist later in July. 


After a second bag of more fluids we were back home a little after 9 PM.  Millie greeted him but did NOT like Nathan's teal scrubs and was totally confused by them.  I think Nathan looks handsome in Spring colors but apparently Millie disagrees. 


The event was very scary for all involved, however we are so grateful that Nathan is feeling much better and did not have any significant injuries or illnesses. We pray that with the right meds and smart diet/drink choices he will not have another seizure.

No comments:

Post a Comment